If you had been following us, we volunteered with Food for All for the first time a couple of weekends ago. We truly enjoyed ourselves delivering groceries to neighbors in DC that we are organizing another round this Saturday, September 1!
The event happens every Saturday morning from 9-around 11:30am! Check it out!
In One Day will continue its shift in gears to supporting existing programs in the community and spend an evening helping one of our partners: Thrive DC!
In 1979, Thrive DC began providing assistance for vulnerable individuals as the Dinner Program for Homeless Women. Since its founding, Thrive DC has grown to provide comprehensive services to support individuals in acquiring fundamental needs and establish stability in their lives. Services offered include laundry, case management, meals, computer use, and prescription assistance.
For the dinner event, volunteers will prepare and serve meals for the Dinner Program for Homeless Women as well as distribute emergency supplies.
To help, please arrive at Thrive DC by 4:00pm. The event will conclude at 6:00pm. Volunteers must wear closed-toe shoes!!!
For more information on Thrive DC and other ways in which you can volunteer and help, visit their website: www.thrivedc.org
Thank you to all the volunteers who came to help Food for All in their grocery delivery program!
Remember, Food for All needs volunteers every Saturday morning from 9am until about 11:30am/noon. Instead of checking out a Farmers Market to buy some produce for yourself, help deliver produce to your neighbors in DC!
In One Day is teaming up with Food for All DC to assist with distributing emergency food to those in temporary situations of need.
The recipients are usually elderly, handicapped or single mothers with young children.
In One Day has already recruited 12 volunteers who will pack meals in boxes and deliver them to residents in DC.
If you would like to volunteer with Food for All DC please visit their website: http://www.foodforalldc.org/wp/
Food for All DC Volunteers assemble meal boxes every Saturday and are always in need of drivers.
Remember- Many hands make light work!
Current and new In One Day volunteers!
We are going to meet at Zeba on Wednesday, June 20th for happy hour!!!
In addition to getting a drink (or two) and hanging out, we will do a quick run down of how those of you who are interested in helping organize Day of Connection and Exchange can support the third and final event for In One Day. (It is only 3 weeks until July 7!) We also have exciting news about future events to serve meals for the homeless community.
Zeba (3423 14th Street, NW)
Wed. June 20
We hope to see you there!
We are so excited by the amount of volunteers who have responded and that will be helping with this event!
Our goals for this event:
- To spread joy to the DC community while giving back to its members
- To facilitate connection between members of the community
- To uplift our community through genuine acts of kindness
Donations will need to arrive between 2:30-2:45 pm, Please let us know what dish you plan on bringing by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Here are some final details:
To All our volunteers:
- We will be arriving to Franklin Square between 2:30-2:45pm to begin setting up, we will begin serving at 3pm and continue until the food runs out or until 5pm
- Performers and entertainers will be providing entertainment while we serve the food so feel free to join in with them!
- Please wear bright clothes!
- Bring your smile and it will be hot, so please dress for this type of weather!
- We need Friendly personalities needed to help facilitate dialogue and interaction between homeless and non-homeless guests.
- We will have a list of duties available at the event on Saturday.
What are we serving?
- Bagel sandwiches ( with bagels donated from Panera!)
- Packaged sandwiches and salads donated from ThriveDC
- Chocolate Truffle Dessert
- As well as the dish you bring!
What we still need:
- Water and Cups to serve the water. If you are a volunteer and have nothing to bring, a gallon of water or a bag of cups would be great!
Are you on Twitter?
Tweet us pictures or your thoughts on the event before and during the event @inonedaydc. If you tweet about our event please use #inonedaydc, so we can follow you as well!
Franklin Square is located in Downtown DC. It is bounded by K Street NW to the north, 13th Street NW on the east, I Street NW on the south, and 14th Street NW on the west. The closest metro is McPherson Square (Blue and Orange Line, I street exit).
From the metro (via Google Maps):
- Head north on 14th St NW toward I St NW (0.1 mi)
- Turn right onto K St NW, the square is on the right.
What’s a Bodhisttva? Click here to find out!
Day of Joy is right around the corner!
If you’re already planning on attending, have you considered volunteering for the event??? You can offer free hugs to the people around the parks AND be on a team that leads the laughter exercises! If this interests you, please fill out this short application, and we will contact you immediately. Volunteer orientations/trainings will be held next week!!! See you soon!